The Not So Comprehensive Guide to SystemVerilog Array Constraints

A few weeks back, during a late evening, I was writing some SystemVerilog code that was declaring constraints on arrays. My brain was already powering down and I just wanted to search the net for a code snippet I could quickly copy and adapt. I couldn't find anything, so that inspired me to write this post, to save some snippets for posterity (and for search engines).

This is a companion discussion topic for the original entry at https://verificationgentleman.netlify.app/2014/07/06/guide-to-array-constraints.html

Thank for the post . really helpful

Explained well by using unique sv2012 construct

Hi Tudor,
I recently started reading your blog and it is really very informative.
Can you pls. explain in detail about 'solve before" construct? If I don’t use it in the above permutation example, what will exactly happen? I will prefer some more examples on “solve before” since it is sometimes confusing.
Thanks,
Ashish

Regarding this constraint:
constraint contains_c {
2 inside { some_dynamic_array };
}

What if you want more than one element to be 2? Let’s say you want 3 of the elements to be 2.

You can do this with the sum array reduction method. Assuming an array of ints the constraint would be:

constraint exactly_three_twos {
(array.sum() with (int’(item == 2))) == 3;
}

The int'(...) around the comparison is to force it to not treat the result of the sum as a 1 bit value.

I think the solve before is actually wrong here. It’s also a bidirectional operator, but it only changes the distribution of a solution, by making it more or less likely to be chosen, but not whether a solution is possible or not.